Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

Yesterday was Memorial Day, and our family has a tradition of going up to Logan to visit our ancestors' graves. My dad's parents are buried there. My Grandma Pats died 5 years ago this June. I have only been able to visit her grave one time before yesterday because I have had to work on Memorial Day the past 3 years.

We weren't sure how well the whole thing would work out, since it was so cold and rainy yesterday, but we went up anyway. Instead of having lunch at the park like we usually do, we went to the Montrose's. My grandma's brother Paul and his son Rick live there. It was so nice to visit with them, since we so rarely get up there to see them. Uncle Paul told stories about being a pilot in World War II. It was incredible to hear about what he went through, and some of the things that he survived. It was an especially emotional day for him, because his wife of 67 years, Elaine Montrose, died just a couple months ago. We all shared in remembering loved ones.

We then went to the Logan Cemetery to visit the graves. I miss my grandma so much, and wish I could share with her all the things that are newly happening in my life. I want to tell her that I finally read Jane Eyre. I want her to meet my husband, and daughter. I wish I could sit down and watch Pride and Prejudice with her again. I am so grateful for what I believe. I believe in eternal family, and that I will be able to spend time with my grandma again. That her spirit still lives.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture!

    I love reading your blog. You have an amazing talent for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diane. I love getting your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete